Thanks for reading this excerpt from PURE TRASH—a short story adventure set in the 1950s and my first book written for the Middle-grade/YA/Adult Audience. ~ Bette A. Stevens
- DOWNLOAD to your computer and start reading: PURE TRASH Short Story EXCERPT
- I hope you enjoy this short story.
- PURE TRASH: The Story is a short story and prequel to Stevens’s début novel DOG BONE SOUP released January 2015. You’ll get to read the author’s Work-In-Progress by signing up for Bette’s Email Updates http://eepurl.com/t-7JP
PURE TRASH, The Story (Blurb/Description)
“This short story is filled with images and flavor only better provided by an ice cream cone…PURE TRASH gives the reader pause for thought, and I recommend it to the adult reader and the YA reader alike.” Kathryn Elizabeth Jones, author of fiction & non-fiction
PURE TRASH, The Story is about bullies, both in the traditional and non-traditional sense. It may redefine your definition of bullying. Torment, persecution, intimidation…These are a few descriptors of what those considered “different” in some way may suffer. For Shawn and Willie, their “difference” is based upon the social status of the dysfunctional family, the alcoholism and the abject poverty in which they grew up. The boys are bullied by both children and adults who look down upon them. Yet, through it all, Shawn and Willie Daniels manage to make the most of life.
To read the Opening Excerpt from PURE TRASH:
CLICK the link below, DOWNLOAD to your computer and start reading…
About the author
Inspired by nature and human nature, author Bette A. Stevens is a retired elementary and middle school teacher, a wife, mother of two and grandmother of five. Stevens lives in Central Maine with her husband on their 37-acre farmstead where she enjoys reading, writing, gardening, walking and reveling in the beauty of nature. She advocates for children and families, for childhood literacy and for the conservation of monarch butterflies—an endangered species (and milkweed, the only plant that monarch caterpillars will eat).
Stevens is the author of AMAZING MATILDA, an award-winning picture book; The Tangram Zoo and Word Puzzles Too!, a home/school resource incorporating hands-on math and writing; and PURE TRASH, the short story prequel to her début novel, DOG BONE SOUP, a Boomer’s coming of age novel published in January 2015.
- Find out more about Maine author/illustrator Bette A. Stevens and take a “Look inside” her books at YOUR AMAZON.
Thanks so much for stopping by for a read… I look forward to your comments.
Bette A. Stevens
- Author Bette A. Stevens wins Award (4writersandreaders.com)
- Pure Trash Has Been Added to Book Club Reading List (4writersandreaders.com)
- An Interview with Bette A. Stevens, Author of “PURE TRASH, The Story” (4writersandreaders.com)
- “Short story filled with images and flavor only better provided by an ice cream cone…” (4writersandreaders.com)
- “PURE TRASH, The Story” by Bette A. Stevens, a Review by Susan Hornbach (4writersandreaders.com)
- Celebrating Summer’s Cessation with a poem… (4writersandreaders.com)
- Getting to know the author: Bette A. Stevens (4writersandreaders.com)