Another AMAZING 5✰ REVIEW for MATILDA! ~ Bette A. Stevens, Maine author/illustrator http://www.4writersandreaders.com
Posts tagged ‘Reading with Children’
Share the gift of reading…
IT NEVER STOPS GIVING! ~ Bette A. Stevens
These six steps will start your children on the road to a lifetime of learning and reading.
- Read to children as often as possible. If you expose them to reading early and often, it will become a pleasurable experience they will want to repeat when they read on their own.
- Picture books can help struggling readers to comprehend a story before they can read all the words. Let them enjoy the process, without getting bogged down with the exact words. Let children ‘pretend to read’ using the pictures for guidance.
- Encourage young children to write and illustrate their own stories. Children have great ideas, make sure they are able to express these ideas freely.
- Set aside family reading or story time. This can be a read-aloud by the parent or by an older child. As children get older, this time can set aside just for independent reading, for adults (yes, you too)…
View original post 198 more words
Any of Dr. Seuss’s are favorites of mine! Seuss made language FUN and INTERESTING! As a grandmother and retired teacher (grades 4-8), I wanted all of my students and all of the children in my family to love language and literature. I also had a MOM who read to me every day when I was young, and Saturday jaunts to the local library were exciting and fun.
I love to read to kids whenever I get the chance. It’s also great to listen to them read to me.
Statistics show that literacy among American children is on the decline, but there are so many simple things we can do to turn that trend around:
READ to and with the children in our lives.
- Choose, and help them select, books that will be fun, interesting and exciting.
- Talk about books (before and after each reading)
- Model by reading regularly yourself and sharing with the kids.
- Set at least 15 minutes aside each day for family read alouds!
I would love to hear from YOU… SHARE SOME OF YOUR OWN IDEAS!
Amazing Matilda – A Monarch\’s Tale By Author Bette A Stevens