A Short Biography
“A writer inspired by nature and human nature!”
Maine author/illustrator Bette A. Stevens is a retired teacher, a wife, mother of two and grandmother of five. Stevens lives in Central Maine with her husband on their 37-acre farmstead where she enjoys reading, writing, gardening, walking and reveling in the beauty of nature. She advocates for children and childhood literacy and for monarch butterflies, an endangered species. Stevens’s children’s activity book, THE TANGRAM ZOO and WORD PUZZLES TOO!, was first published in 1997 by Windswept House Publishing, Mt. Desert, ME; a second edition was self-published by the author in 2012. AMAZING MATILDA , Stevens’s second children’s book, self-published in 2012, won a 2013 Purple Dragonfly Book Award (Honorable Mention for Excellence in Children’s Literature – Ages 6 and older category) and placed #9 on The 2013 Gittle List TOP 10for Self-published Children’s Picture Books. Stevens has written articles for ECHOES, The Northern Maine Journal of Rural Culture based in Caribou, Maine. In 2013, the author published her first book for the YA/Adult audience: PURE TRASH: The story, a short story of a boy growing up in rural New England in a family whose poverty and alcoholism mark him as a target for bullying by young and old alike. This short story is a prequel to Stevens’s debut novel DOG BONE SOUP released January 2015.
Bette A. Stevens advocates for children, childhood literacy & monarch butterflies.
From the Author
“I love to walk and enjoy nature’s beauty, whether at home or on the go. I’m passionate about the beauty in the world around me and enjoy jotting down notes and composing short poems. The coast is one of my favorite places to relax. I’m a nature collector: everything from seashells to birds’ nests. When I was teaching, these treasures filled my classroom and provided inspiration for reading, writing and research. It was hands-on fun and excitement and I enjoyed every moment spent learning with, from and about my students. One thing I learned is that many children don’t have an adult to read to them or listen to them read and have book discussions. Many of my posts will focus on how we can improve childhood literacy by reading to the children in our families and communities. My own childhood was filled with books and adults who shared and encouraged a love of reading. I’ve written some poetry and several short stories. I published DOG BONE SOUP, my first novel—a 1950s and 60s coming of age story—January 2015. On 4writersandreaders blog, I’ll post occasional reviews on favorite books. Meet the Author interviews will introduce you to some great authors and their latest books. I’ll also be sharing stories, poems and tips on reading and writing. I continue to advocate for children and childhood literacy and also for monarch butterflies (the only butterfly known to migrate) and milkweed (the only plant that monarch butterfly caterpillars will eat) restoration. Let’s have fun learning, living, sharing and loving literature together.” ~ Bette
- Find out more about Bette and her books at http://www.Amazon.com/author/betteastevens
- You’ll find Maine author/illustrator Bette A. Stevens & other Maine writers at Find Maine Writers http://find.mainewriters.org/writers/bette_a._stevens/
Follow Bette A. Stevens and find her books on YOUR AMAZON
- Interview: RAVE WAVES SPOTLIGHT HONORS (June 2015) Bette discusses DOG BONE SOUP & AMAZING MATILDA http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ravereviewsbookclub/2015/06/18/rrbc-rave-wave-spotlight-honors-with-guest-bette-a-stevens with Rave Reviews Book Club radio host Nancy Bell
- Author Interview BLOG TALK RADIO http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rithebard/2012/12/18/chatting-with-sherri
- AMAZING MATILDA (Award-winning Children’s Book Video Debut) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGukoyteso
- Monarch Butterflies Face New Threats http://blog.nwf.org/2014/01/monarchs-face-new-threats-losses-along-migration-route/?utm_content=buffer4d58b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- Monarch Butterfly Restoration http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/milkweed-restoration-monarchs-a-hopeful-story/
- Author Interview (PURE TRASH) http://www.authorstowatch.com/2013/10/interview-with-bette-stevens.html
- Poverty & Prejudice http://ishistorytheagreeduponlie.blogspot.com/2013/10/poverty-prejudice-yesterday-today.html